Turkey Marinas


  1. Passports & Visas
  2. Customs Regulations
  3. Currency Regulations
  4. Value-Added Tax (VAT) Return For Tourists:
  5. Residence and Work Permit
  6. Formalities For Motorists
  7. Formalities For Private Yacht Owners
  8. Formalities for Private Plane Owners
  9. Health Regulations For Animals


Passports & Visas

1. Being a citizen of one of the following countries and having a valid ordinary passport you can enter Turkey without obtaining a visa, staying up to:

A. 3 months; Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Federal Republic of Germany, Fiji, Finland, France, Greece, Grenada, Iceland, Iran, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Monaco, Morocco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Qatar, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, UAE, Vatican.

B. 2 months; Croatia, Romania, Slovenia, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Indonesia

C. 1 month; Bolivia, Kazakhstan, Republic of South Africa, Kirghizia

II. The citizens of the above countries (A,B,C) and Bulgaria are exempted from transit visa. A transit visa generally provides accommodation of one month unless there is any contrary restriction.

III. Citizens of the following countries with an ordinary passport require a visa; having a revenue stamp at the border gates, staying up to:

A. 3 months; Austria, Ireland, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, Portugal, United States

B. 1 month ; Azerbaijan, Belarus, Czech Republic, Armenia, Moldavia, Uzbekistan, Russia, Slovakia, Tajikistan , Yugoslavia, Estonia, Hungary, Lithuania, Leetonia, Poland, Georgia.

C. The citizens of Guatemala and Jordan can obtain a visa for 15 and 30 days respectively at the border gates.

D. The citizens of Indonesia can obtain a visa for 2 months at the border gates.

E. The citizens of the other countries have to obtain a visa from the Turkish Embassies abroad.

IV. Citizens of the following countries having an official passport (diplomatic, special or service type) are exempt of visa; staying up to:

A. 3 months: Albania, Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Canada, Chile, Cuba, Czech Republic, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Denmark, Egypt, Equator, Federal Republic of Germany, Fiji, Finland, France, Gambia, Greece, Grenada, Iceland, Iran, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico (only diplomatic passport holders), Monaco, Morocco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, People's Republic of China, Poland, Qatar, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, UA E, Vatican, Slovakia, Indonesia, Qatar, Georgia, Lithuania, Ukraine

B. 2 months: Afghanistan, Romania, Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

C. 1 month : Bolivia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Hungary, Yemen, Republic of South Africa, Bulgaria (only diplomatic passport holders) Kirghizia, Moldavia, Turkmen.

V. The citizens of the member countries of European Council (except Austria, Hungary, Ireland, Portugal, United Kingdom) can enter from those border gates determined by Turkey with such documents indicated in their approval documents according to the "Agreement on the Travel of Individuals between the Member States of the Council of Europe".

Back to Top

Customs Regulations

On Entry
Personal belongings and some items may be brought into the country duty free. You can obtain the current detailed list of these items from the nearest Turkish Consulates or Tourism Information Offices abroad.

All items worth over $15,000, valuable personal items and all antiques brought into Turkey must be registered in the owner's passport in order not to have any problem on exit.

Special permission is a must for all kinds of sharp instruments and weapons.

All kinds of narcotics are strictly forbidden to be brought into, traded and consumed in Turkey. Any violation of this prohibition is subject to heavy punishment.

a) The following items may be brought into country duty free;

b) Valuable items must be registered in the owner's passport for control upon exit.

c) Sharp instruments (Including camping knives) and weapons cannot be brought into the country without special permission.

d) The importation, buying, selling and consumption of marijuana and all other narcotics are strictly forbidden and subject to heavy penalties.

e) Antiquities brought into the country must be registered in the owner's passport to avoid difficulties on leaving the country.

f) Gifts not exceeding 500 DM in value and not for trading purposes can be brought into the country duty free. In addition, up to one month before and after special holidays (Ramadan, Festival of Sacrifices, New Year) gifts up to the value of 500 DM can be sent by post duty-free. ( It is expected that new arrangements on this subject will be put into effect in the near future.)

Back to Top

On Exit

a) Gifts and souvenirs may be taken out of the country. However, for a new carpet an invoice of purchase and for old items a certificate from a museum is necessary.

b) Valuable personal items can only be taken out of the country provided that they have been registered in the owner's passport.

c) Minerals may only be exported from the country with a special document obtained from the MTA (General Directorate of Mining Exploration and Research Ankara, Tel: (4) 427 37 89 ).

d) Up to 1000 cigarettes may be bought from duty-free shops by the passengers on exit or in transit.

The export from Turkey of the following items is forbidden :

Back to Top

Currency Regulations

Although there is no limit on the amount of foreign and Turkish currency that can be brought into Turkey, more than $5,000 worth of Turkish currency can only be taken out of the country providing that they have been declared on entry.

Exchange Slips:
It is recommended to keep the exchange slips for the conversion of foreign currency into Turkish Lira since you may be required to show these when reconverting your Turkish Lira back into foreign currency and when taking souvenirs out of the country (to prove that they have been bought with legally exchanged foreign currency).

Back to Top

Value-Added Tax (VAT) Return For Tourists:

a) The tax return is applied to travelers who do not reside in Turkey.
b) Foodstuff and drinks, which are accepted to be consumed in Turkey (except alcoholic drinks, tobacco products), and services rendered are not subject to VAT return.
c) Shopping should be made from sellers "authorized to make VAT returns" , by preparing "special invoice". Such shops should have the "authorization certificate" obtained from the concerned tax offices, hung on a visible place.
d) The minimum tax-excluded purchasing value, for the VAT-return applicable goods, should be 50,000 TL for each shopping.
e) The goods should be taken out of the country in maximum 3 months after the date of purchase, and the special invoice should be approved by Turkish Customs Authorities.
f) The approved special invoice should be sent to the seller's address in one month following the exit, and the return is transferred to the address or bank account of the purchaser.

Back to Top

Residence and Work Permit

Residence permit is required by foreigners wishing to remain more than one month in Turkey. The application must be made to the Turkish Embassies or Consulates and foreigners must obtain the duration of their residence in their visas before coming to Turkey. However, foreigners who are exempt from visa, are also exempt from residence permit limited with their visa exemption period.

The maximum duration of residence permit is for one year. It could be prolonged by local security authorities upon valid reasons. Any change in residence or marital status must be reported immediately. Foreigners with residence permit should apply to the security authorities in case they leave Turkey for a temporary period.

Foreigners who intend to work in Turkey must first apply to Turkish Embassies or Consulates before coming to Turkey. Work permits are authorized by the Ministry of Interior to be issued by Turkish Embassies or Consulates. After arriving to Turkey, foreigners must apply to the local security authorities within one month together with their work permit visa issued in their passports.

It is not possible to obtain residence or work permits in Turkey, without prior application to Turkish Embassies or Consulates.

Back to Top

Formalities For Motorists

The maximum staying period, either continuously or by intervals, for automobiles, minibuses, caravans, towed sea craft, and motorcycles to be brought into Turkey without a carnet de Passage or triptique is 6 months in a year. The vehicle is checked according to its property certificate, an "entry-exit" form is filled out, then it is registered in the owner's passport, and this registration is valid until it is cancelled when you leave the country.

For stays longer than six months before the expire date, it is necessary to apply to either the Ministry of Finance and Customs (Maliye ve Gümrük Bakanligi, Gümrükler Genel Müdürlügü, Hükümet Meydani, Ulus-ANKARA, Tel: (312) 310 38 80, 311 74 01 Fax: (312) 324 14 26, 324 14 63), or Turkish Touring and Automobile Club (Istanbul Head Office, Halaskargazi Caddesi, No: 364, Sisli-ISTANBUL, Tel: (212) 231 46 31 (6 lines), Fax: (212) 248 96 61) for a triptique; otherwise, the vehicle must leave and reenter the country at the end of six months.

Those who are coming to Turkey by a vehicle which they do not own, should have an officially issued authorization document taken from the owner of the vehicle. It is possible to come to Turkey by a rented car provided that the rent contract is valid also for Turkey.

In case a tourist wishes to visit another country from Turkey without his car and does not take the car to the nearest Customs Authority (Gümrük Müdürlügü), the registration of the car in his passport may be cancelled.

In urgent cases, the vehicles can be taken out of the country by any person other than the owner, provided that an officially issued authorization document is taken from the owner.

Drivers need a three-sectioned driving license or an international driving license. For more detailed information, please contact the nearest Turkish Consulate or Tourism Information Office.


Requirements for a motorist:

a) Green Card International Insurance, endorsed for Turkish territory in both Europe and Asia.
b) Turkish third party insurance, which can be obtained from any of the insurance agencies at the frontier posts.

Formalities For Private Yacht Owners

According to international navigation rules, private yachts can only enter Turkey from the following official ports of entry:

Aegean Sea: Çanakkale, Akçay, Ayvalik, Dikili, Izmir, Çesme, Kusadasi, Didim, Güllük, Bodrum, Datça, Marmaris, Fethiye.

Mediterranean Sea: Kas, Finike, Kemer, Antalya, Alanya, Anamur, Tasucu (Silifke), Mersin, Iskenderun, Botas (Adana).

Marmara Sea: Tekirdag, Bandirma, Istanbul, Derince.

Black Sea: Zonguldak, Samsun, Ordu, Trabzon, Hopa (Artvin).

1. Private yachts with foreign flags coming to Turkey for tourist or sportive purposes, can stay in Turkey up to five years, provided that they are used at least every two years.

2) Private yachts with foreign flags are not allowed to carry any load or passengers between Turkish ports in Turkish territorial waters and cannot pursue any commercial activity against payment, even for tourist purposes.

Customs and passport formalities:
Private yachts with foreign flags, entering Turkish ports from international waters should fulfill following formalities based on their own declarations and in accordance with international navigation rules:

a) For the border, customs and passport formalities, a Transit Log with a yellow tab should be bought from the entry marina, and the sections concerning the yacht, crew and passengers should be filled in. Then, the nearest:

b) Customs Authority

c) Customs Guard Authority

d) Passport Police

e) Marine Health Authority

should be visited, and corresponding formalities of entry be completed. If the yacht owner is the citizen of a country that a visa is needed, the required visa formalities can be fulfilled by the Passport Police. Upon request, these transactions may also be completed by the Marina Authorities, in the name of the yacht owner against a nominal charge.

Sailing between Turkish ports in Turkish territorial waters:
In order to sail from one Turkish port to another for tourist and sportive purposes, a separate Transit Log prepared for these cases should be bought and approval of the nearest Harbormaster should be secured.

Back to Top

Leaving the yacht in Turkey

You can leave Turkey by any means of transportation, leaving your yacht in a marina licensed by the Ministry of Tourism. For the related formalities you should apply to the nearest Customs Authority, with your marina contract for mooring. Upon request, the transactions may also be completed by the Marina Authorities, in the name of the yacht owner against a nominal charge.

Leaving Turkey
When leaving Turkey the related exit formalities can be fulfilled at any port that is an official port of entry. For this purpose, the related section of the Transit Log bought before, should be filled in and presented to the nearest Customs Authority, Marine Health Authority, Harbormaster's Office and Passport Police.

Sailing in Turkish Territorial Waters
International navigation rules should be strictly followed.
The Turkish flag should be flown from 8:00 a.m. until sunset, in accordance with international flag etiquette.
The military zones which are marked on the navigation charts, should not be entered, and diving in the forbidden areas should be avoided. Upon any action on the contrary, you will be warned by the Coast Guard Vessels on point. If you persist on violating the rules, legal steps will be taken in accordance with the international rules.
Seals put on the diving tubes by the Customs Guard Authority to prevent diving to in the forbidden zones, should not be dismantled.

Sailing and Wind
While sailing in the Izmir, Çesme, Kusadasi area, a regional wind called "imbat", blowing from the northwest, will give you the pleasant sailing conditions in summer.
In the Bodrum, Marmaris, Fethiye region, the northern winds (Poyraz) will follow you throughout the summer months for a pleasant sailing, although sometimes they may reach force of 7-8 degrees.
Around the Gulf of Antalya during summer, northern winds blowing in the morning, change direction to become southerly in the afternoon.

Ports and Marinas
The marinas and mooring facilities in Turkey which are licensed by the Ministry of Tourism, are members of "EURO MARINA", the Federation of European Yacht Harbour, which provides safe mooring for yachts in international standards and gives social, cultural and tourism services for the yacht owners. You may either leave your yacht in water for wintering, or haul her ashore in the modern facilities of Kalamis and Ataköy Marinas in Istanbul; Levent and Cesme Altinyunus Marinas in Izmir region; Bay Marina, Netsel Marmaris Marina , Albatros Marina in Marmaris and the Gulf of Hisarönü; and Kemer Turban Marine, Setur Marina in Antalya for routine maintenance and dry parking.

The Turkish Ministry of Tourism has been trying to simplify the legislation for the purpose of providing better service for private yachts under foreign flags, and facilitate the related formalities of entry and exit for these yachts. These new arrangements are aimed to be put into practice in 1994. Related amendments will then be announced by the concerned authorities to EURO MARINA and yachting organizations. Upon arrival in Turkey, marinas and Tourism Information Offices will help you with information on the subject.

Dinghy and offshore yacht races are organized in Turkey, almost every weekend throughout the season and information on the subject can be obtained from Istanbul Offshore Racing Club (Istanbul Acikdeniz Yaris Kulübü, Tel: (212)336 65 21, 348 00 38, Fax: (212) 336 65 31).

For further information please contact:

1) Chambers of Shipping
(Head Office, Istanbul Deniz Ticaret Odasi, Meclis-i Mebsan Caddesi, No:22, 80154 Salipazari-ISTANBUL, Tel: (212) 252 01 30 (8 lines), 243 54 95 (3lines), Fax: (212) 243 79 34, Telex: 24727-25774)

(Representative of The Association of Marina Investors, at Ministry of Tourism-ANKARA, Tel: (312) 212 21 84)

Back to Top

Formalities for Private Plane Owners

Private planes should come to Turkey following the international air lanes. Upon arrival the plane is checked according to its property certificate, an "entry-exit" form is filled out, then it is registered in the owner's passport and this registration is valid until it is cancelled when you leave the country. Private plane owners can stay in Turkey with tourist status up to six months. Those who wish to stay for longer periods should obtain permission from the concerned Customs Authority, before the expiration date.

Those who are planning to come to Turkey with their private planes of up to 12-seat capacity are exempted from flight permission provided that they should inform the ATS units in Turkey, at least 3 hours before entering the Turkish FIR, about their flight plans. The frequency range for communication with the airport authorities is 118-136 Mhz on VHF/AM band. This type of flight can only be directed to civil airports and their flight status is stated in article 18 of the flight plan form. The list of Turkish airports can be found in the "Useful Addresses "section.

Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir, Antalya, Trabzon and Dalaman airports have facilities for private planes. The permission for flights between domestic airports and further information can be obtained from the Civil Aviation Department of the Ministry of Transport (Ulastirma Bakanligi Sivil Havacilik Genel Müdürlügü, 90. Sokak, No:5, 06338 Emek-ANKARA Tel: (312) 212 67 30, Fax: (312) 212 44 82)

Back to Top

Health Regulations For Animals

The followings are required for those who wish to bring domestic animals into the country:

a) A Certificate of Origin stating the health record of the animal.

b) A Veterinary Health Certificate issued maximum 15 days before the animal's entry into the country proving that the animal is in good health and has been vaccinated against rabies.

Turkey Marinas